From: Markus Werle (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-27 10:51:10

Douglas Gregor wrote:

> On Monday 27 January 2003 10:07 am, Markus Werle wrote:
>> They are used _in_ _parallel_, not together.
>> IMHO it is a good idea to have them both in name namespaces.
>>
>> Any good reason to leave them in :: scope?
>
> Because writing boost::_1 is a lot of extra typing,

Well, assumed I have good reasons to use boost::bind and ::_1
in one case and boost::lambda::_1 in another place in the same file.

Now there is a _lot_ of extra typing due to the ambiguity:

using boost::lambda::_1;
using boost::lamdba::bind;
etc.

If _1 from boost::function would reside in a named namespace
(as does good and IMHO correctly implemnetd boost::lambda library)
the name resolution side effects would vanish immediately

> and "using namespace boost" is not an option for all users
> (it brings in a lot of names that
> might conflict with user code).

I agree. So what about another nested one: boost::function::placeholders

> I keep hoping that Boost.Bind's _1 and Boost.Lambda's _1 will become the
> same entity at some point...

In 2012?

Markus