From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-27 11:26:02

On Monday 27 January 2003 10:51 am, Markus Werle wrote:
> Well, assumed I have good reasons to use boost::bind and ::_1
> in one case and boost::lambda::_1 in another place in the same file.

You could rename Lambda's placeholders to something that doesn't conflict with
Boost.Bind's placeholders:
  http://www.boost.org/libs/lambda/doc/ar01s05.html

> > and "using namespace boost" is not an option for all users
> > (it brings in a lot of names that
> > might conflict with user code).
>
> I agree. So what about another nested one: boost::function::placeholders

boost::function is part of the Function library, which is distinct from both
Bind and Lambda, so I assume you mean boost::bind::placeholders. There are
technical issues with that exact formulation (boost::bind can't be both a
namespace and a function template), but I do not know why a similar solution
was not implemented.

> > I keep hoping that Boost.Bind's _1 and Boost.Lambda's _1 will become the
> > same entity at some point...
>
> In 2012?

[Moderator: Do remember that Boost is a volunteer effort. No developer is
obligated to fulfill user requests, and the motivation to do so is lessened
by inflamatory remarks of this nature.]

        Doug