From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-01 10:42:12

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 04:24 am, John Fletcher wrote:
> Doug
>
> Thank you for this. I don't understand the answer as I don't see any code
> there which will enable me to designate a location e.g. boost_1_30_0/lib
> where my libraries could be.

Sorry, 'bin-stage' was the location, although I don't particularly like the
name choice.

> An alternative would be to provide a link
> from e.g. boost_1_30_0/lib to the location where the library actually is,
> down a very long directory chain. Either would be nice as then I could do
>
> g++ -I../boost_1_30_0 something.cpp -osomething -L../boost_1_30_0/lib
> -lsignals
>
> from anywhere, and use a system of my choice e.g. Cmake, to control my own
> parts of the software. It is simple to include the noncompiled boost
> libraries in other code, which is presumably the purpose of reusable
> library code.

This is the idea of staging. If you add this into libs/signals/build/Jamfile:

stage lib
    : <dll>boost_signals
    : <tag><debug>"d"
    : debug release
    ;

You'll get libboost_signals.(so|dll) in the 'lib' subdirectory of where you're
building. So if you run bjam from libs/signals/build/, it'll be in
libs/signals/build/lib. There is also a libboost_signalsd.(so|dll) in the
same location for the debug version of the library. Replace "stage lib" with
"stage ../../../lib" to put the results where you want them in
$(BOOST_ROOT)/lib.

> I appreciate that bjam is there to automate the building of alternative
> configurations of the libraries, and it works well for that. Surely that
> doesn't mean that users have to become experts in it to access the tutorial
> material on a library?

It shouldn't have to, but without some form of installation we've
unfortunately forced users into precisely that.

> Incidentally, the signals library is not included in the list of libraries
> which have a compiled component, and there is no mention of the need for
> linking a library in the otherwise excellent tutorial on the signals
> library.

Those I can fix quickly, and will do so.

        Doug