From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-01 10:46:08

Markus Werle wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>

>> We're not hacking the paper at this point (working on the book
>> instead)
>
> Ah! Earning money with Open Source via Closed Docs ;-)
> Not exactly what RMS was dreaming of, but perfectly OK for me:
> I will buy that book ASAP. I hope You also explain all those
> macros that make the code so uneasy to read.
>
> In the meantime Edward could be grateful for a hint to the book
> from the guy who explained some of the techniques in detail,
> even though his lib could not enter the boost tree due to
> reasons I do not know of:
>
> The book to buy until David's book is out is
> "Modern C++ Design" from Andrei Alexandrescu.
> See http://www.moderncppdesign.com/

I already have it and have read it. The techniques explained in the Boost
MPL library seem to be different from many of the techniques explained in
Mr. Alexandrescu's fine book. I hope when the Boost book is out, it is more
readable and deliberate in explaining how things work than the paper above
which I find heavy going. But that's reasonable since papers often assume a
level of understanding, and take appropriate shortcuts on that assumption,
than a book which has more space to explain things a little more slowly.
Perhaps my difficulty with the paper is just my own failing but I will stick
to it and see what I can get out of it, and ask further questions if
necessary.