From: Adalbert Perbandt (adalbert.perbandt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-16 04:37:33

>> Hmm, seems to me if I misunderstood something. I found a set
>> of so called "Pseudotargets: described in the
>> tools/build/jam_src/Jambase.html page.

    David> We should probably get rid of that; it only applies to
    David> "Classic Jam", not Boost.Build. But anyway, pseudotargets
    David> are not the same as build variants.

O.k. As far as I understand build variants are configured using the
BUILD environment variable (or the -sBUILD=...) option, correct?

Until now I know of the variants "debug" and "release". And obviously
one can specify some modifiers like "<optimization>speed" or
"<runtime-link>static|dynamic>", "<debug-symbols>on" and maybe more. I
think it should be very simple to find out which build variants and
modifiers are defined because this information must be stored in some
of the Jam config files. Correct?

Just searched through the boost_1_30_0 directories and found such info
in the Toolset jam files, e. g. tools/build/sunpro-tools.jam. Somehow
a default set of these modifiers must exist for the case that the user
did not specify anyone(?)

>> In between I followed your hint in a reply to another question
>> and specified the installation directory like this:
>>
>> $ bjam -sTOOLS=sunpro -sALL_LOCATE_TARGET=<installDir>
>>
>> [...]
    David> Nope. Being able to isolate header dependencies and
    David> separate them from the rest of Boost is not a feature we
    David> have implemented. Boost is meant to be installed "en
    David> masse"

O.k. I think, this is an acceptable solution because all the Boost
libs might be very useful -- if I only could get them all compiled
with Sun's Forte compiler:-((( But this problem should be solved
somewhen in the future.

[...]
    David> I'm sure. We'd appreciate your participation in the
    David> Boost.Build v2 project. See
    David> http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm to get on the
    David> mailing list.

Thanks, just subscribed to the jamboost Boost Build mailing list. I'm still
very new to the build tool BJam. So first I have to learn more about
its functioning before being able to contribute.

Regards,

Adalbert Perbandt.