From: Russell Hind (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-03 04:22:53

When you build, I use (for borland)

bjam -sTOOLS="borland" -sBUILD="<threading>multi"

or something like that, haven't done it since the 1.30.0 release. It
definitely defaults to single threaded for borland for all libraries bar
  boost::thread

I like the regex way of building and plan to introduce my own here so
that I append mt/st to the .lib file name and link against the correct
version with #pragma statements.

The other problem I've found (and we discussed before) was the build
settings (alignment etc). boost has default settings for all compilers
and these may be different from your project options. (we tend to build
with 4-byte alignment rather than 8 but boost defaults to 8). This also
causes problems because of inlined code/.lib code in the same project.

I've wrapped all the boost headers (that I use) in a directory called
boost_wrappers that first include a push header file to push all the
boost options for the compiler, then include the boost header, then a
pop header to pop the options back to the correct project settings.

We did discuss a while back about getting these push pragmas at the
start and end of each header but there doesn't seem to be much support
for it. Without it, or without doing your own (as I have) you can't
change or project options (or some of them) without re-building boost
with those same options which is a PITA.

As an extra, I've built both debug and non-debug versions and appended a
d to the debug files so I can #define DEBUG_BOOST_XXXXX to link with the
debug version of the library and step through the code which can be
quite handy.

Cheers

Russell