From: Delfin Rojas (drojas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-22 13:24:05

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this mailing list. The first thing I should say is I love boost
and I think it is a great library and I'm really thankful to all its
contributors. Now, that being said, I'm sending this email to ask about a
feature in the boost::filesystem library that I believe would be valuable to
have.

Currently the only library that supports file and directory operations in
boost is boost::filesystem. Thanks tot hat library I don't have to use
platform specific file manipulation rutines for things like copying a file,
deleting all files in a directory, iterating through a directory, etc. Now,
all the operations in boost::filesystem take a boost::filesystem::path as an
object encapsulating a platform independent "path" to a file or a directory.
My problem is this path can only be built using a single char (ANSI)
character string. This doesn't allow me to use boost::filesystem in windows
with Unicode support since I cannot convert a wide string (UTF16) path to a
boost::filesystem::path object. I believe it must not be too difficult to
add Unicode path support to boost::filesystem since only the "path" class
would need to be modified I think.

Another small feature I think could be interesting is a convenience function
to set the current path (cd operation). There is a function already to get
the current path but not to set it.

I do not know if this is the right group to ask for these features. If not
please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot

Delfin Rojas

Delfin_at_[hidden]