From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-27 05:39:09

Edward Diener writes:
> I have bit the bullet and am attempting to get my head around the MPL
> library. I realize there is a book out by Messieurs Abrahams and Gurtovoy, I
> believe, but I thought I would tackle the boost documentation first. A few
> questions:
>
> 1) Is the documentation up to date ?

Not just at the moment. It will be in a few days.

> 2) There are three separate documents to study, it seems, all giving
> information about the MPL library, a white paper circa 2002, a reference,
> and a mini-tutorial. Is the information in these in sync with each other ?

Again, not yet. See the above.

> The reason I ask is that the white paper/mini-tutorial mentions if_<> and
> apply_if<> but the reference does not mention them at all. Are they just
> understood intrinsic metafunctions that need no reference, or what ?

The current reference documentation is incomplete. The upcoming one covers
everything.

> If the former, are there more of these intrinsic metafunctions and, if co,
> what are they and what do they do ?
> 3) A number of the topics in the reference documentation mentioned in
> generalized overviews of the various sections have no specific links. Does
> this mean that they were never implemented ? Seems dubious in a number of
> cases.

See the above.

> I would seriously like to figure out how MPL works and play around with it,
> but I feel stymied with what is in the boost docs.

I can't promise the new docs will answer the "how" part (depends on what you
mean by that), but they definitely make the library more accessible. So,
if you can, just wait a couple of days.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering