From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-23 06:20:43

> Could anyone explain the following behaviour of regex_search
> (In /usr/include/boost/regex/v3/regex_match.hpp, so Version 3)
>
> Using regex_search acting on a pair of iterators, with input
> "aaa bbb ccc\naaaaaaX"
> and regexp
> "(aaa)|(bbb)|(.)|(\n)"
> and the match_continuous flag set.
>
> It seems that regex_search iterates to the end of the sequence
> using ++iterator rather than stopping once it has found the first match
> or even the longest match.

That shouldn't be the case - I don't see that behaviour here anyway - note
that this is obsolete code anyway, is there any way you can upgrade to 1.32?

If you want me to investigate further can you

1) reproduce the behaviour with 1.32.
2) Let me have a reproducible test case.
3) Check that it's not a call to std::distance that seeking the iterator to
the end (it shouldn't be).

Thanks,

John.