From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-23 09:26:19

> I have opened up the Version 7.1 project file(s), taking one at random
> ..\boost_1_32_0\libs\test\build\msvc71_proj\unit_test_example2.vcproj I
> converted this file to the new format. Looking through all the project
> settings I found a number of items that you set (or whoever initially
> setup
> the projects).
>
> The most interesting (disturbing) appears to be where you specify the lib
> file dependency which is set to "unit_test_framework.lib", looking through
> the (bjam) compiled lib directory I cannot find a lib file with that name
> the closest files I have are:

Use unit_test_frameowrk.vcproj. It will create library with appropriate name
and location. I personally never use bjam in production environment. bjam is
good to handle multi-platform and/or configuration builds.

> Looking at the bottom of this page:
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html it describes what each of
> the
> parts of the file name means (so I need mt, g and d).
>
> Based on this information I chose:
> libboost_unit_test_framework-vc80-mt-gd.lib
>
> This appears to work. Is this correct? Or have a managed to add 2 + 2
> and
> get 5?

If it works then you got it.

> As a slight aside the IDE does not display the output of the Unit test.
> Was
> it supposed to? I was under the impression that it should have.

The examples projects may not have Post-build event configured.

> One minor think that I think I found. Looking within the jamfile
> ..\boost_1_32_0\libs\test\build\Jamfile. I think that it is saying that
> it
> needs a lib file named boost_unit_test_framework. I don't know if this is
> or isnt the case (I have never used bjam before compiling boost), I just
> thought I would mention it just in case that it is wrong as well.

Boost.Build system is a "smart beast". Library name in Jamfile is only
logical. physical name deduced by the rules described in doc above
automatically.

Gennadiy