From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-06 08:04:48

"Brian Braatz" <brianb_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [Brian Braatz Writes:]
> Did some more peeking. Since I use outlook for everything (or the main
> page's archive searching) I was not aware of this view
> http://lists.boost.org/boost/2005/03/date.php
>
> This speaks to what I was raising before. However it is not "in my
> face" (I never noticed this view existed on the site before today).

Maybe because the main Boost web archive was only recently changed to
use new software.

> I would like to amend my suggestion to be the following:
>
> 1- Formal link to the list on boost.org main page

There are lots of Boost mailing lists. If we drive everything we
think is important up to the top level it will become even harder to
use than it already is. What's wrong with
www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm, which is prominently linked from
the main page?

> 2- Boost wiki links also a "first class citizen" link on the first
> page I.e. it goes from the BOTTOM of the page to the TOP- and it
> goes from being "Unofficial" to being one if not the FIRST thing on
> the list
>
> My suggestion would be to list the left pane like so:
>
> Boost Wiki
> Boost Mailing list (takes you to the lists view above)

I don't know about that; that view doesn't tell you how to post or
subscribe to the list. I don't think the "Boost Mailing List" link
ought to lead people down a tunnel that only gives them a view of the
archive.

> And then everything else
>
> Addtionally- I would add putting a link to the Wiki in the mail
> (previously discussed) and at the top of the "archive view" link
> above. (responding to my own post)

Not sure about that one either. We need some criteria to decide what
gets driven to the top level everywhere.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting