From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-19 05:20:48

> Hmmm... I had been thinking that the TDS was its own product (from HP
> documents, as it owns Tandem at the moment)
>
> The Tandem Development Suite (TDS) offers the option of selecting
> the native C/C++ PC cross compiler (the Tandem_CCompile product).
>
> but looking a bit closer
>
> The TDS provides an easty-to-use graphical user interface that
> uses the Borland IDE. [...] Release 2 of the TDS supports Borland
> C++ version 5.02. The Compaq extensions to the Borland
> development environment provide a choice of compilers,
>
> So now I'm a bit confused... What does it mean, "supports Borland
> C++"?

Never heard of Tandem until you mentioned it, so if you're confused, don't
ask us ! :-)

> But, even assuming that Tandem_CCompile is using Borland as a
> front-end and generating object code of Tandem Guardian/OSS, I still
> need to deal with the Cygwin aspect, AFAICT; i.e. there is no Borland
> on Cygwin toolset I can select. Either way, unless someone else has
> already done this, then I'll probably have to learn how to define a
> new toolset for Boost?

Probably not: remember that most of Boost can be used as "headers only", so
depending on which libraries you want to use, you may not need to build
anything.

If you do need to build some libraries, then frankly it's not hard without
using bjam: in most cases it's just a case of building the library's source
files into a shared or static library. Some things like python are a bit
harder than that, and you may need to set some defines to build shared libs
on Win32 (with exported symbols), but if you look at the Jamfile for the
library you want, it should be reasonably readable/comprehensible.

HTH,

John.