From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-29 10:00:02

On Dec 22, 2005, at 6:43 PM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> It also suggests I run "bjam <options>". I can't think of any options
> I want a priori [ ;-) ] so I run bjam with no options, but to no
> avail:
>
> jeff_at_krypton:bgl-python-0.9 $ bjam
> Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find "boost-build.jam"
> Attempted search from /home/jeff/tmp/bgl-python-0.9 up to the root
> and in these directories from BOOST_BUILD_PATH and BOOST_ROOT: /
> usr/share/boost-build.
> Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.
> jeff_at_krypton:bgl-python-0.9 $
>
> BTW, Boost.Build does not exist on my machine. I'm not clear on what
> should cause it to exist.

What is the environment variable BOOST_ROOT set to? Typically we
expect that it points to the root of the Boost distribution (there
should be a "boost-build.jam" file there), but sometimes Linux
distributions install Boost differently. Also, which version of Boost
are you using?

Googling for "boost" and "debian" I found an off-handed comment that
the Debian packages don't play well with building Boost.Python
modules with bjam, but that was from an older version of Boost, so it
may be irrelevant now.

        Doug