From: Miller, Peter (PJMiller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-07 18:04:23

Hi, list members.

I am trying to build Boost (1_32_0) using intel/Windows compiler, but no dice.

Following the steps in the "Getting started" guide, I chose to set up the
environment variables, i.e. approach 2.1 So I pull up a command window,
navigate to the intel directory, and run iclvars to establish the intel
directory is in the PATH. It adds a bunch of items to the path, so it seems
that worked.

Then, I navigate to boost\boost_1_32_0\boost\1_32_0 where bjam.exe lives. I
use it as-received, as it seemed there was no point in building it locally.

Invocation to make Boost libraries I used was:
bjam "-sTOOLS=intel-win32" install

What I get is odd: first, a notice:
skipping Boost.Python library build due to missing or incorrect configuration

couldn't find python.h in "c:/tools/python/include"

THis is puzzling to me: there is no Python setup on this machine - and why
should Boost (a c++ package) be looking to create Python libraries? anyhow,
there is a bit more info about various PYTHON_xxxx variables that I could set
to configure the python installation.

Then, it gets into the c++ compilation, and all these fail. The invocation
that is shown in the command window is (for example):

vc-C++ bin\boost\libs\date_time\build\libboost_date_time.lib\intel-win32
\debug\runtime-link-static\greg_month.obj

'/Zm800' is not recognized as an internal or external comand,
operable program or batch file.

     /Zm800 -nologo /EHsc -c -DBOOST_DATE_TIME_STATIC_LINK .Z7

etc.

To me (who doesn't understand bjam), it seems that bjam has invoked the VC
compiler rather than the intel compiler (which has an invocation of icl, IIRC).
Anyhow, it looks like the compiler is hollering about the /Zm800 option,
which is not a legal option for the intel compiler, though it is for VS 7.1.

This error then repeats several hundred times, once for each file for which
compilation is attempted.

I suspect there is some very simple thing I am overlooking, but I've tried to
follow every step in the "Getting Started" guide.

Does anyone suggestions on what is wrong here? I'm stumped, and would
appreciate any help or thoughts on how to chase this further.

Thanks!
Peter