From: Toby Smith (tob_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-30 20:06:58

> I'm giving a talk about getting started with Boost
> (https://www.cmpevents.com/SDw6/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=271893) and I
> thought it would be a good idea to solicit input from those who have
> recently gone through the process. What do you wish someone had
> explained to you? With what did you need hand-holding? Based on this
> feedback I expect to make some improvements to the Boost website,
> also. Any information you can give me will be much appreciated.
Personally, my biggest problem with getting started with boost was
realizing that I should get started in the first place.

I'd had friends & coworkers mention boost, but to the new visitor,
the website (as clean and readable as it is) doesn't do a good sell
job for the product. It starts off well, saying that there's some
sort of libraries to be had in here somewhere. But the first eight
links the reader encounters have nothing to do with explaining why it
is you might want to use these libraries. The ninth link,
"Background information page," finally gives us a teaser, claiming
our productivity will increase, but we still don't know why. Only
the intrepid explorer who delves into the tiny "Documentation" link
on the main page will be rewarded with a catalog of functionality.

In short, I think the main page, the page that should be grabbing the
casual surfer's attention, should at least highlight some of the
functionality the consumer can expect from boost (cross-platform
serialization, anyone? How about containers done right, or a well-
designed thread package?), instead of devoting real estate and reader
attention to links to random unix distros.

Cheers,
tob