From: John Read (jread.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-23 16:45:09

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>That's a tough row to hoe. MinGW is a non-cygwin toolset. If you try
>to build bjam under cygwin, you'll get a cygwin version of bjam. I
>suggest you remove MinGW/bin from your path (maybe even uninstall
>MinGW) and use the gcc-nocygwin toolset
>(http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/gcc-nocygwin-tools.html) *or* you
>give up on the cygwin environment and use the MinGW toolset from a
>regular windows command prompt.

  It is not cygwin per se. I simply would like a proper shell to do my work in. Would using the MSYS command prompt make my row any less rocky? Also, when I use a DOS prompt and run build.bat from the jam_src directory, I seem to use the msvc toolset. This generates a bin.ntx86 directory with a bjam.exe. Looks like I am still not getting the toolset pointing to the gcc compiler. Is there any doc on how to compile Boost using the MinGW toolset and the gcc compiler on windows (preferably with some useable shell, not the DOS prompt)? If no, I will be glad to document this for us all when I get it sorted. Thanks, John