From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-23 18:04:16

John Read <jread.boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> >That's a tough row to hoe. MinGW is a non-cygwin toolset. If you
> try
>>to build bjam under cygwin, you'll get a cygwin version of bjam. I
>>suggest you remove MinGW/bin from your path (maybe even uninstall
>>MinGW) and use the gcc-nocygwin toolset
>>(http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/gcc-nocygwin-tools.html) *or*
>> you
>>give up on the cygwin environment and use the MinGW toolset from a
>>regular windows command prompt.
>

> It is not cygwin per se. I simply would like a proper shell to do my
> work in.

Yes. What's your problem with gcc-nocygwin?

> Would using the MSYS command prompt make my row any less rocky?

On windows, building bjam is only supported under CMD and cygwin bash,
and I don't know how well either such bjams can run under MSYS.

> Also, when I use a DOS prompt and run build.bat from the
> jam_src directory, I seem to use the msvc toolset. This generates a
> bin.ntx86 directory with a bjam.exe.

What's wrong with that?

> Looks like I am still not getting the toolset pointing to the gcc
> compiler.

You just built the build tool. Now you can use any of the toolsets
described at http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html to build
Boost.

> Is there any doc on how to compile Boost using the MinGW toolset and
> the gcc compiler on windows (preferably with some useable shell, not
> the DOS prompt)? If no, I will be glad to document this for us all
> when I get it sorted. Thanks, John

If you want mingw-style executables without using CMD, use
gcc-nocygwin from the bash prompt.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting