From: Dave Compton (abcdave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-24 21:04:29

Hi John,

    I've been working in Windows for several months in exactly the
manner you describe. It works fine but it took a while to figure out
how to set things up. Here is what works:

0) Get/install Cygwin: full install - use unix style linefeeds.
1) Get/install MingGW: MinGW-5.0.2.exe
2) Get/unpack Boost: boost_1_33_0.tar.bz2 - boost_1_33_1 has a few
build failures but boost_1_33_0 compiles cleanly.
3) Open Cygwin terminal and added MinGW/bin to path
4) cd to boost_1_33_0/tools/build/jam_scr
5) use the windows cmd "shell" to build bjam for mingw as follows: "cmd
/C build.bat mingw"
6) Add <boostDir>/boost_1_33_0/tools/build/jam_src/bin.ntx86 to your
path to get bjam
7) Build boost: bjam "-sTOOLS=mingw" --prefix=<boostInstallDir> install
> build.res 2>&1

The format for <boostInstallDir> should be something like
c:/boost/boost_1_3_0/install . Use forward slashes and a dos style
directory name like "c:"

When compiling, use '-I<boostInstallDir>/include/boost-1_33' to get the
boost include files.

When linking, use '-L<boostInstallDir>/lib to get the boost libraries.

At runtime, if you link with shared libraries, you will need to have
c:\MinGW\bin and <boostInstallDir>\lib in your PATH environment
variable. In this case slashes should be backslashes. Also, I ran into
problems when the path environment variable contained directories from
different disks so it makes life easier if you put you mingw
installation on the same disk as your boost installation.

- Dave