From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-02 17:45:03

It is stated in the documentation that native binary archives cannot be
expected to be portable accross machine architectures. text (and xml) based
archives should be portabable without problem.

Robert Ramey

"John Spicer" <jspicer_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
Has anyone had any luck getting a serialized object (created using boost
binary serialization) between two different platforms? I am currently using
binary serialization on 32 bit & 64 bit machines without issue. However,
passing the serialized objects between the two platform types fail. The
serialized classes themselves support interoperability, and as such it
appears that the serialization libraries themselves do not. I am assuming
they are storing some type of meta data along with the payload?

Any thoughts on how to do this and keep with binary serialization?

****
There is an example of a "portable" binary archive in the documentation and
examples. This particular example doesn't implement serialization of
floating points. You could finish that example if you wanted.

-- John