From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-10 10:17:38

Stephen Turner wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:25:24 -0500
>> From: "Eric Yankowitz" <nnews_at_[hidden]>
>> Subject: [Boost-users] Support for extended Daylight Saving Time in
>> 2007
>>
>> Been trying to find information describing boost's level of
>> support for the
>> four week Daylight Saving Time extension in the US that will
>> occur this
>> March.
>> (http://geography.about.com/cs/daylightsavings/a/dst.htm), I haven't
>> been able to find very much. A lot of software is having
>> issues and was
>> wondering if Boost was ready for the event?
>>
>> Was able to find these links, which suggested issues:
>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14717
>> 23&group_id=7586&atid=207586
>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14786
>> 19&group_id=7586&atid=207586
>>
>> Any idea if these are being resolved? And if any others exist?

Sorry for the extended delay on responses....off the net on vacation for an
extended period. Short answer is that no, they haven't been resolved yet.

> Eric,
>
> I'm a new user of this code, so take everything I say with the appropriate
> amount of caution, but I have looked into this question a little.
>
> My conclusion is that the date_time library is still shipping with the old
> timezone rules at the moment. It's easy to change the date_time_zonespec.csv
> file to use the new rules instead (you can do that yourself, and I assume
> that the official version will do it soon too).

Yep, in fact I was looking for someone that has time to look at this carefully
to do this update and send me a patch -- someone about a month ago said they
would do this, but haven't seen anything yet. As for when it will be
released, I may have to ask the release manager to permit an update. I wasn't
expecting 1.34 release to drag into 2007.

> However, at the moment the
> code doesn't seem to support different timezone rules for different years,
> so once you've changed it, you're out of luck if you want to look up times
> in 2006. See my previous post about this subject at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.user/23837

This is true -- does your application require historic dates with timezone
lookups or only current dates?

Jeff