From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-05 10:33:53

Hi there,

while looking for a thread-safe buffer implementation, I discovered the
upcoming circular_buffer library (with a thread-safe bounded_buffer
implementation on top), and William E. Kempf's tutorial implementation of a
bounded buffer (boost_1_33_1/libs/thread/tutorial/bounded_buffer.cpp in
the 1.33.1 boost sources).

The circular_buffer library is not yet officially available as part of
Boost, but fortunately the tutorial implementaion does most of what I need.
That is, with the notable exception that it covers Integers only.

I have thus made a few small changes, including making it a template,
so I can "plug in" any type I want, and I want to use it for the time
being (until circular_buffer becomes officially available).

**
My question now is, what the proper way is to refer to William and honour
the license terms, while still excluding any "express or implied warranty"
for my changes.
**

Here is my current approach:

/**
 * Note: This class was taken (with small modifications)
 * from the Boost.thread tutorials
 * ( boost_1_33_1/libs/thread/tutorial/bounded_buffer.cpp ).
 * The original code contained the following text:
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2001-2003 *
 * William E. Kempf *
 * *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this *
 * software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby *
 * granted without fee, provided that the above copyright *
 * notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright *
 * notice and this permission notice appear in supporting *
 * documentation. William E. Kempf makes no representations *
 * about the suitability of this software for any purpose. *
 * It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. *
 *
 * All modifications to William E. Kempf's original code, as shown
 * in this file, are covered by the same license as listed above,
 * and are Copyright (C) 2007 Ruediger Berlich. In particular,
 * please note that
 *
 * Ruediger Berlich makes no representations *
 * about the suitability of this software for any purpose. *
 * It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. *
 * /

Is this sufficient ? And [do I have to / may I / should I] include
an additional copyright statement for the modifications ?

Or am I just paranoid ? ;-)

Thanks and have a good easter time,
Ruediger