From: Hughes, James (jhughes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-10 09:24:48

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:33:49PM +0200, Hughes, James wrote:
> > This message (including any attachments) contains
> confidential and/or
> > proprietary information intended only for the addressee.
> > Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or
> reliance on the
> > contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
> constitute
> > a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> > notify the sender immediately by responding to this e-mail,
> and delete
> > the message from your system. If you have any questions about this
> > e-mail please notify the sender immediately.
>
> such text should definitely be avoided on each mailing list.
> Don't find any excuses such that your MTA adds this, just
> *don't* send such mails!
>
> I'm now in big trouble because of this. A friend of me who
> isn't subscribed to this list read parts of this email (he
> stood behind me). What now? Should I beat him down in the
> hope he forgets about it, should I send you his name and
> address so you can sue him?
>
> To all: Please ignore all such postings. Even better, ask the
> list master to unsubscribe such persons!
>
> PS: Could someone please extent
> http://www.boost.org/more/discussion_policy.htm to cover this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jens

I have had this discussion with other mailing lists. It is a breach of
my working contract to remove any added signature lines and can result
in my employment being terminated. I have stated to our IT depertment
that this is an issue, and they say there is nothing they can do. You
are quite welcome to write to them to say how stupid it is (I already
know, but I cannot do anything about it), and also to Danaher's IT
support, the company that owns the company I work for and runs the IT
systems.

I could use a web based email system, but that is again against my terms
on employment, and its basically a PITA to do that. Are you therefore
suggesting that I am not to send any emails to mailing lists at all?

I suggest that you (since you are the ONLY complainant) ignore the added
clause as its not worth the ether it is written on.

And thank for being the first to complain on the Boost list. Hurray for
you. Now get off my back, or I will ask for YOU to be unsubscribed.
Isn't it rather sad that the first time I offer to add code to boost, I
get a offensive reply like this?

I would ask the list owners to just be sensible. Most emails nowadays
are sent with these nonsense lines at the end (although this is one of
the worst), and they are almost exclusively ignored, because they are in
general unenforceable.

James