From: Kirit Sælensminde (kirit.saelensminde_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-23 04:44:14

dhruva wrote:
> I just hope we never lose the communities interest. Frankly, I
> personally would feel more comfortable if it is hosted on boost.org
> A privately held company hosting a WIKI based setup to get the
> community involved should not end up making it propitiatory and have a
> COPYRIGHT since it was hosted on their servers. We just need to be
> cautious.

Unless everybody contributing assigns their copyright to my company
(which was never going to be asked for) then the company won't end up
owning anything that it doesn't already own. Each contributor will
retain copyright on what they contribute.

What is really of question here though is what license contributors
agree to by contributing. Personally I think that the descriptions will
need to be fairly permissive, something like the Creative Commons
attribution license (CC-by) and the code needs to be under something
very permissive, something like an MIT or BSD license but without the
need to attribute or include any copyright notices. People need to be
able to copy the code into their own code base without needing to worry
about any legal ramifications of doing so. Turning the code over to the
public domain is probably closest.

As for the community interest, I guess we will see whether it garners
any traction or not once it is turned on. If a more official Boost
organisation wishes to take on the site then we will provide the
software and the data for that.

Just to make this absolutely clear, my company's commercial interest in
this is to promote its software, but the content of the site. As the
software that runs the site is built with Boost it seems an appropriate
way of doing it and giving something of use back to the Boost community.

> I do appreciate the fact that someone has seriously come forward, it
> is a good step forward.

Thank you. I hope that I will get enough of it done in the next few
hours to put it live.