From: a a (nobodythoughtofthis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-28 07:52:03

Hi yzt,

Many thanks for getting back to me, your help is much appreciated.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Yaser Zhian Tabasy <yaserzt_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> a a wrote:
> > I have a simple program to test boost::variant. Under Visual C++
> > 2005, configuration Release (/MD), the build fails with C1060 (out of
> > heap space). The program compiles and runs as expected under Visual
> > C++ 2005 Debug (/MTd), and under Visual C++ 2008 Express, Release and
> > Debug.
> >

> Since I don't have VC2005 I can't be sure, but it's possible that you can
> solve this problem using the "/ZmXXX" compiler switch. You should replace
> the XXX with a suitable value (try 100, 200 or 500; basically, you should do
> a binary search for the best value!) Also, you should read the MSDN entry
> for the "/Zm" switch.

I tried switch /ZmXXX with a couple of different values for XXX, this
seems to have no effect on the problem and still the VC8 Release build
crashes with C1060.

The documentation says that /Zm "Determines the amount of memory that
the compiler allocates to construct precompiled headers". Can you
give a little more detail on how you think that C1060 could be avoided
in this case by changing the memory allocation for precompiled
headers?

The example I provided in the original post is a sole cpp file, I
haven't myself created any headers, precompiled or otherwise. The
code #includes various headers from STL and boost, are you saying that
those #includes are picking up precompiled headers such that the
behavior of the build could be influenced by /Zm?

Thanks,
Eric