From: Jeff Dunlap (jeff_j_dunlap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-25 23:44:30

Ray & Pau,

Thanks for your input. I'm sort of thinking of going the FreeBSD route since
my main reason would be for hosting web applications.

I also want to change web development frameworks and will definately be looking
at C++ Web Tool Kit. I want something cross platform but it must support html
templates. Please read on...

I've looked at quite a bunch of C++ web development kits and one thing that I
definately don't like is mixing html with C++ code.

The only systems that I've worked with and found are: Microsoft ATL Server and
VBMcgi. They both have their good and bad points. One thing that they both
allow you to do is to create 'templates' or 'stencils' which are your html web
page or web form, etc.

In both of these frameworks, your C++ code NEVER mixes with html code. Of
course, you can if you want, but that is very messy. I like keeping my
interface totally separate from my business logic. Being able to completely
modify the interface at any time without touching the app is an additional
bonus.

I wrote this app here:

http://app.directcorrespondentlender.com

Please note that all business logic is in C++ and all interface files consists
of a single html file (plus a css file for styling, and a javascript file for
ensuring that basic field formatting, i.e. $250,000). All logic is in C++, the
drawback is that it is in MS ATL Server, thus not cross platform, plus its
design is not the best, MS took a backward, complicated approach in my opinion.

While VBMcgi was designed well, I love its design but I don't like the way it
was coded. They use their own string class for instance :( and cookie handling
does not seem to work right for multiple valued cookies. That made me decide
to stick with ATL Server even though I don't like the design at all.

Does C++ Web Took Kit allow you to work with templates aka stencils? I am
looking for alternatives.

Best Regards,

Jeff