From: David Philp (david.philp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-06 22:14:21

On 07/07/2008, at 10:03 AM, console shark wrote:

> I just downloaded boost 1.35 and built the standard config. I have a
> collection of files in the /lib output folder that all end
> in .dylib. I am specifically interested in the python boost library,
> which is there as well.
>
> However the project that I am using that requires this library is
> expecting a file that ends with a .so extension.
>
> Being new to unix/mac I am assuming these are the equivalent
> differences between a .dll and .lib file on Windows?

See
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/compiling/chapter_4_section_9.html

"dylib" is the usual Apple extension for a dynamically linked library,
and "so" is the usual Linux / etc extension. They are otherwise the
same thing. You should be able to use the .dylib file in place of
the .so file.

> In any case how do I get the .so or static lib version of python
> boost?

.a is the usual extension for statically linked libraries on Macs and
Linux. (a being "archive") I have a libboost_python.a in the same
place as libboost_python.dylib.

AIUI .a is similar to .lib, and .so / .dylib are similar to .dll: they
have similar roles, but there are important differences.