Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Logging library
From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-25 06:45:40

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:28:43 +0200, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are using the POCO library for logging, too. There are lots of nice
> concepts in it. It is easy to get started.
>
> On the other hand, I cannot help but feel that there must be a more
> elegant and flexible way to do the things they do. IMHO, they have a
> tendency to re-invent the wheel sometimes, coming up with their own and
> quite different smart pointers, threading library, etc.
>
> In the long run, we plan to replace it, without knowing the replacement
> and despite the fact that Poco::Logging is the best I have come to play
> with, yet.
>
> Maybe we will take the basic ideas and write something on our own using
> boost?

I've been using John's logging library before I switched to Andrey's
library. While there are various reasons I think the most important is
that Andrey uses attributes to route messages from sources to sinks. It's
a bit more sophisticated than writing to a sink directly where I'd wonder
otherwise if I need a logging library at all.

What's nice about the Poco library (I just had a quick look at the
documentation) that it seems to support various platform-specific logging
facilities. That would be another strong reason for me to use a logging
library instead of simply writing messages to a file myself.

Boris