Subject: [Boost-users] Installing Boost.MPI [bjam]
From: Raymond Wan (rwan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-29 06:57:04

Hi all,

I need some help with building Boost.MPI. My system is a Debian testing
(lenny) system and I'm following the instructions at [lenny uses 1.35
and not 1.36]:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/doc/html/mpi/getting_started.html

I'm using Open MPI and I can compile and run the test implementation
fine (mpi-test.cpp). So, I moved to the next step on configuring and
building. My bjam is 3.1.16. I copied user-config.jam to my home
directory, with the line "using mpi ;" added at the end. Then, I ran
"bjam --with-mpi" in the "top-level Boost directory" [*] and I get this
error:

error: no Jamfile in current directory found, and no target references
specified.

Firstly, I'm not sure if I have everything installed... But I also
don't know what the "top-level Boost directory" is. I've tried these
locations:

/usr/share/boost-build/
/usr/share/boost-build/build/
/usr/share/boost-build/tools/ [it had an mpi.jam file in it]
/usr/include/boost/

And also replaced "using mpi ;" with "using mpi : /usr/bin/mpic++ ;".
I'm currently trying this as root user, so I don't think root privileges
is the problem. (bjam came with a "Hello World" example and that
compiled fine; so I don't think it's something wrong with bjam.)

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

Ray