Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Fast XML Parser
From: Alan M. Carroll (amc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-14 15:43:05

Let me start by saying that I am very happy with rapidXML. In fact, we have converted most of our XML parsing from various other libraries to rapidXML and have committed to a complete conversion over time (i.e., using rapidXML as our only XML parsing library, including replacing Expat). We use XML almost exclusively as a serialization format and rapidXML is excellent for that use case.

*However*, I would not recommend rapidXML if you are going to do non-trivial editing of in-place DOM trees. It is not, IMHO, well suited for that. If you're going to do a lot of editing, parsing speed shouldn't be your primary concern. You will want a much richer API as you go on and rapidXML just doesn't provide that. You could build one on top of rapidXML, but why bother when there's things just as good already out there?

That said, I have some wrapper code that makes rapidXML even nicer, if you're interested, but it doesn't perform any edit, delete, or add operations since my code base does not perform any of those.