Subject: [Boost-users] Transferring files across a network.
From: Andrew Maclean (andrew.amaclean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-15 22:52:42

We have a situation where there are several computers that have a
folder where files are periodically deposited.

Currently, in each computer, this folder is scanned periodically and
the files are parsed by a program that then sends the SQL data to a
central machine where there is postgresql server running.

The files are generally small because they are compressed. But the
uncompressing and subsequent parsing into SQL strings dramatically
inflates the amount of data that is sent across the network.

What I am thinking of doing is sending the all the files to a
directory on the central machine then parsing them there for
subsequent inclusion into the database.

So I need a program to periodically scan the folder on the computer
and send these files to the central machine. On the central machine I
need a similar program to listen for incoming files and put them into
a directory for subsequent processing. The listner on the central
machine will need to process files arriving simultaneously from
several machine. There is no issue with file name conflicts as the
names are unique.

Can anyone give me any pointers? I think I should use boost asio but I
don't know where to start with it. The tutorial and examples, while
good haven't provided me with an insight yet!

The main requirement I have is that it should be cross-platform. I
looked at cURL/cURLpp but there are immense difficulties building this
in a windows environment.

I would like to stick with boost if possible.

Thanks
   Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems