Subject: [Boost-users] [Graph] is it possible to define my own edge_descriptor
From: George Slavov (gslavov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-08 17:10:26

Hello,

I have a graph which corresponds to an n by m grid of vertices. Edges in
this graph are only allowed to point from one vertex to an adjacent
vertex. In this situation, it would be wonderful if I could define an
edge, so that its target is not a vertex_descriptor but some other
construct which would allow me to store the target in just one byte or
less instead of the full unsigned int which I use to describe my
vertices. That is, the edge could go from vertex 102 to a descriptor in
the range [0,8] which would give you enough information to compute which
vertex you're talking about.

The graph I'm working with is rather large. It could have millions of
vertices and saving this kind of space would be fantastic.

If it's important at all, mostly I'll be doing topological sort on these
graphs.

Is this possible?

Best,

George Slavov