Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Timing of BoostPro 1.38 Installer?
From: Peter Bartlett (pete_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-03 09:16:59

Quoting Scott Meyers <usenet_at_[hidden]>:

> Bernhard Merkle wrote:
>> IIRC, there is (and was never) no such thing as an installer. Most
>> libs are header-only.
>> About 9 libs or so have to be build (via jam). I did this
>> successfully with VC++2005.
>
> BoostPro Consulting offers an installer for Windows (
> http://www.boostpro.com/products/free ) that tends to lag the official
> releases by some time. I've built Boost under Windows before, but
> sometimes I've had trouble (especially when I've wanted to build only
> parts of it), so I figured that this time maybe I'd wait for the
> installer and do things the lazy way :-)

Perhaps the Getting Started guide wasn't as good when you tried before
as it is now?

I've used the installer before and it works very nicely. However, to
borrow a phrase, I did feel like I was being given a fish. Soon enough
I wanted to use Boost.Python and Boost.MPI, which are not built by
default, and I wished I'd been taught how to fish instead. The Getting
Started page is pretty good at that these days.

Just my 2c,
Pete