Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost thread conflicts with MFC
From: Raindog (raindog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-11 00:49:02

Robert Ramey wrote:
> I realise that what I really want is what everyone really wants. A platform
> independent GUI library which does what MFC, VB, etc do. Use a wizard
> to generate a skeletal application, Layout a GUI, automatically generate a
> working app,
> fill in the hooks to the backend code. Oh and don't forget real
> documentation
> with sample applications. Microsoft has done this - but
> its a love/hate thing. It works but then I have to deal with a few hacks
> with every project to get everything to play together. I suppose that's
> why we earn the big bucks.
>

> Robert Ramey

What I don't understand is why nearly every C++ GUI framework out there
tries to be the next C++ standard in that they all provide strings,
containers, network classes, xml parsers, etc. If you already have a
code base, you have to write simple wrappers around everything just so
you can communicate with the GUI library.

SmartWin++ looked like it definitely had the right philosophy but sadly,
it appears to be abandoned in favor of some ajax project by the authors.
Cppgui looks promising too but it is pretty new and incomplete