Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Serialization + Forward compatibility [was Re: boost::serialization and PHP websites]
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-30 12:57:21

Sohail Somani wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Sohail Somani wrote:
>>
>>> Boost serialization currently does not elegantly handle forward
>>> compatibility
>>
>> This would be doable if someone wanted to invest the effort. And
>> this would not be a huge effort at least in comparison to
>> the efforts required to implement a lot of the other features of the
>> library.
>
> How would this be done (without breaking backward compatibility)? It
> is kind of late so admittedly it might be totally obvious in the
> morning.
>
> I also notice you have not mentioned anything about the 70 billion
> dollar bailout for the serialization library and spreading the
> wealth. I assume the cheque's in the mail.

I purposely overlooked that comment. It seemed to be an
attempt at some sort of criticism. It's absolutely amazing to
me how much I've been criticised (many times personally)
for making this library. I choose to interpret this as acknowledgement
(and perhaps resentment) of its success. It's my policy
to ignore such comments which almost always results
in the least amount of time wasted. Occasionally this
doesn't work so I have to waste more time. But generally
this policy works well for me.

Robert Ramey