Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem using Boost regex
From: John Emmas (johne53_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-09 03:27:13

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]>

> Nope, I confess to not understand manifests at all (does anyone?).

The short answer is "No!" It just seems to be DLL Hell re-introduced all
over again. You'd have thought that Microsoft might have learned something
from the last experience. What's that saying about those who don't learn
from the lessons of history...?

Nevertheless John, you gave me something to think about - so please hold
fire on this one for a moment. According to C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests
I have two CRT runtime versions installed for Release mode apps:-

8.0.50727.4053 (this is the one currently used by Boost) - and
8.0.50727.42

But for DebugCRT's I only have one installed:-

8.0.50727.42

I'm guessing that 8.0.50727.42 must be EARLIER than 8.0.50727.4053 - and
that's why my app will run in Release mode but not in Debug mode. Give me
some time to check this out.

Off-topic, but as an aside... when I post to this mailing list I get an
acknowledgement back but I don't get my own email back. This makes it
(slightly) inconvenient if someone wants to correct (or add to) something
they just said in a previous post. Has anyone thought about sending back
the poster's own email? Most other mailing lists work that way. Cheers,

John