Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem using Boost regex
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-09 05:45:45

>> Nope, I confess to not understand manifests at all (does anyone?).
>>
> The short answer is "No!" It just seems to be DLL Hell re-introduced all
> over again. You'd have thought that Microsoft might have learned
> something
> from the last experience. What's that saying about those who don't learn
> from the lessons of history...?
>
> Nevertheless John, you gave me something to think about - so please hold
> fire on this one for a moment. According to C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests
> I have two CRT runtime versions installed for Release mode apps:-
>
> 8.0.50727.4053 (this is the one currently used by Boost) - and
> 8.0.50727.42
>
> But for DebugCRT's I only have one installed:-
>
> 8.0.50727.42
>
> I'm guessing that 8.0.50727.42 must be EARLIER than 8.0.50727.4053 - and
> that's why my app will run in Release mode but not in Debug mode. Give me
> some time to check this out.

Do you have Microsoft update configured (as opposed to Windows update)?
There have been quite a few updates/patches to VC++.

I just downloaded a tool called Manifest View from
http://weblogs.asp.net/kennykerr/archive/2007/07/10/manifest-view-1-0.aspx.

This gives me for example:

assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT"
version="9.0.21022.8"

Looks to be a good way to check which msvc version has been requested by the
application.

> Off-topic, but as an aside... when I post to this mailing list I get an
> acknowledgement back but I don't get my own email back. This makes it
> (slightly) inconvenient if someone wants to correct (or add to) something
> they just said in a previous post. Has anyone thought about sending back
> the poster's own email? Most other mailing lists work that way. Cheers,

Works like that for me.

There's a setting you can set/adjust on the mailing list preferences page
for this, but also some mail providers are known to filter out your own
messages (gmail is the prime culprit).

HTH, John.