Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ and quality of software
From: Larry (lknain_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-25 18:55:05

I have been developing software since the 1960's and in my experience the
ones that complain
the most either are the worst offenders of making readable code or are one
of the very few that
write code that mere mortals have trouble understanding (readable here
meaning to someone
other than the originator of the code). If you are trying to maintain
several MLoc of code then
guidellines such as the Google guidelines can help with consistency in form
as newer programmers
come on to maintain the code or add new function. I worked for a company
that had guidelines
since the 1960's. The "rules" were not static but evolved over time and were
adapted as new
languages became the basis of development. I do not recall an instance where
the guidelines
inhibited the development of good sound code.

As for the fixed length buffers they are diminishing but there are probably
lots of them still out there
that just haven't shown up as security issues. Still, a lot of issues still
show up - not necessarily in OS
code but code perhaps just as critical.

Much of this discussion will be similar to a discussion of "good and evil"
as there is no one answer.

Larry

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." - William
Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act II, Scene V