Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ and quality of software
From: Klaim (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-26 06:11:27

>I think this is an embarrasement for google.
>Didn't they claim to hire only very good people?
>I would not want to work under these conditions.

Hi,

I think you need to read the explainations that follow each statements from
the google document. For example they don't say that they really don't use
exceptions, they just cannot use them in their "old" base code (that was
relying on old compilers) but allow usage in new softwares.

Just picking titles without reading the whole document (that I feel globally
makes sense because seems defined by practicallity) is not a good idea.

By the way, I don't think saying that not using exception (for example) is
bad practice, expecially on some embeded softwares. For example in video
games on game console hardware it's just not viable as explained in the
EASTL document there :
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html
Even Stroustrup (in his last book if my memory is right) says that in some
limited environnements you just have to use a subset of C++. It's not bad,
it's flexibility.

I personally think that good practice and expeptionally breaking rule code
living together is sane. So I don't clearly understand the idea behind the
original mail of this thread.