Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ and quality of software
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-26 17:42:04

Klaim wrote:
>I think this is an embarrasement for google.
>Didn't they claim to hire only very good people?
>I would not want to work under these conditions.

Hi,

I think you need to read the explainations that follow each statements from the google document. For example they don't say that they really don't use exceptions, they just cannot use them in their "old" base code (that was relying on old compilers) but allow usage in new softwares.
I think you didn't read the explanation carefully.  They go on to say not to use exceptions in new software, or in open software they sponsor, making an exception only for Windows software!
Just picking titles without reading the whole document (that I feel globally makes sense because seems defined by practicallity) is not a good idea.
I read the whole thing, agreed with some, disagreed with others, but in general, it seems that  in many of the things they want C++ to be more like C.  I understand that in their culture they constantly have new hires fresh out of college with limited experience, so they want to first, rein in the new guys so they don't do anything wacky, and second, rein in the experienced guys so they don't do anything to confuse the new guys.  It would cut down on the chaos, but also limits the creativity and yearning for learning and growing of the best experienced people.

Patrick