Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ and quality of software
From: joel falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-26 13:00:38

Klaim wrote:
> I think you need to read the explainations that follow each statements
> from the google document. For example they don't say that they really
> don't use exceptions, they just cannot use them in their "old" base
> code (that was relying on old compilers) but allow usage in new softwares.
That's a clear reason to clutter new code with bad habits
> Just picking titles without reading the whole document (that I feel
> globally makes sense because seems defined by practicallity) is not a
> good idea.
I read them thx
> By the way, I don't think saying that not using exception (for
> example) is bad practice, expecially on some embeded softwares. For
> example in video games on game console hardware it's just not viable
> as explained in the EASTL document there
> : http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html
Emil D. will disagree with you. EA dn other video games producer are not
the best when it comes to software quality.
> Even Stroustrup (in his last book if my memory is right) says that in
> some limited environnements you just have to use a subset of C++. It's
> not bad, it's flexibility.
I don't gringe that much on the no exveption rules, but the no ctor but
init() method feels like 1980's bad C++ lessons.

> So I don't clearly understand the idea behind the original mail of
> this thread.
You mean apart spamming ?

Joel Falcou - Assistant Professor
PARALL Team - LRI - Universite Paris Sud XI
Tel : (+33)1 69 15 66 35