Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio from C++ Forms App in VS 2010
From: Juraj Ivanèiæ (juraj.ivancic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-28 13:55:39

On 28.2.2011 18:01, Dave wrote:
> On 2/28/2011 5:03 AM, Juraj Ivanèiæ wrote:
>

>> The problem is that Boost.Asio is not designed to be used MS C++ managed
>> code. It will work with a regular C++ compiler (i.e. cl.exe). I'm out on
>> a limb here as I do not know much about MS managed C++, but ASIO (which
>> strives to be portable C++ networking library) really does not seem to
>> be the tool for the job in such environment, even in case this is
>> possible. If I were you I'd consider replacing ASIO with a more
>> appropriate framework (.NET?) for this platform.
>>
> I don't think this is correct.
>
> I have compiled and run a good portion of the sample ASIO code using
> Visual Studio without any problems.
>
> I am successfully using ASIO in my own code which is compiling under
> Visual Studio.
>
> If ASIO is really an inappropriate tool to be using under Visual Studio,
> I would like to know so that I don't run into some showstopper problem
> down the line. However, if that is the case, it should be stated loud
> and clear in the documentation so that people like me and Alan Vella
> don't make the mistake of using the wrong tool. A compile error would
> be nice as well.

I'm sorry for being unclear - I never intended to say that ASIO does not
work with Visual Studio. On the contrary, I have been using it with VS
to my great pleasure for several years. I only stated that it is not
designed to be used with what I called 'MS managed C++' i.e. an
interpreted C++ wannabe. As I stated - I know little about this
language, but I have learned a bit from a very nicely explained reply by
Lars Viklund.