Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [context review] Review starts today, Mars 21st 2011
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-21 04:43:04

Michael Caisse wrote:

> On 03/20/2011 06:18 PM, Nat Linden wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Vicente BOTET<vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>

>>> The review of Oliver Kowalke Context library starts today Mars 21st 2011, and will end on Mars
>>> 30th.
>>>
>>> I really hope to see your vote and your participation in the discussions on the Boost
>>> DEVELOPMENT mailing lists! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!! Only on the Boost DEVELOPMENT mailing lists
>>>
>> :-(
>>
>> I am not presently on the development mailing list; I am reluctant to
>> register because keeping up with the boost-users list already takes a
>> surprising amount of my time.

You can unsubscribe or disable mail delivery at any time. You can also
disable mail delivery immediately, and use gmane to read the mailing
list as you see convenient.

>> I have opinions and a bit of experience with the topic area of this
>> library, and I was planning to submit a review. But I feel rebuffed.
>>

> Nat -
>
> I have seen this instruction in a few reviews of late. It is very
> unfortunate. I believe it is in direct contradiction to the lively
> discussion we have had at BoostCon on how to improve and foster
> involvement during reviews. Those discussions always focus on the
> importance of involving users of libraries and not just the developers
> of libraries.
>
> While many of us subscribe to both lists, I believe the consensus during
> our "how to make boost better" type sessions for the past two years
> always resulted in a desire to review libraries on both mail lists. I
> understand and appreciate the complications that this causes for both
> for the review manager and duplication of discussion threads in general;
> however, if the community is going to have separate dev and user lists
> then it makes sense that the review will have to occur on both lists.
>
> Since this plea of one-list-posting has recently surfaced for a couple
> reviews, it would be helpful if the Review Wizards could chime in with
> some uniform policy that makes sense for the community. (Thank you
> Wizards for your time and dedication to the process).

As somebody who asked for reviews on boost-devel only for reviews that I have
managed, I think that's a good idea. Having reviews on two different mailing
lists would certainly result in the same issues raised independently on
two mailing lists, which would make it much harder on the author and review
manager, and it's not entirely clear whether there will be any benefits.

Note that if somebody wishes to submit a review and does not want to
participate in discussion, he can always submit the review directly to the
review manager.

--
Vladimir Prus
Mentor Graphics