Subject: Re: [Boost-users] VS2012 C4503 warning (decorated name length exceeded, name was truncated) with boost 1.52
From: Richard (legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-08 16:29:02

I wrote:
>> Any suggestions?

Paul Bristow spake the secret code
<006a01ce1a55$60541ab0$20fc5010$@hetp.u-net.com> thusly:
>https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Thanks, this is a good starting point.

>The general idea is to bracket warning-disables around things that the
>Boost author has decided are
>unhelpful warnings - for each compiler.

That's what I was expecting to happen.

>If you think that the Boost author has not disabled and restored, or not
>restored the warning level
>after doing his bit, you could submit a ticket 'complaining'
>
>https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/newticket
>
>But don't expect a quick response on what many regard as a trivial issue
>- though when you get hit
>with a blizzard of warnings, it may seem less than trivial to you ;-)

The documentation says that this warning should be issued at the
default warning level (/W1) and higher.

The odd thing is that if we compile with the default warning level, we
don't see this warning.

If we compile at a higher warning level, such as /W3, then we see the
warning.

My expectation is that boost was suppressing this warning (hence, why
we didn't see it at /W1) and I was thinking that our /W3 must somehow
be overriding the boost suppression.

I guess I will have to dig further into the resource you supplied and
see what I can find out. I'd come across Geoff Chappell's site before
and thought it useful, so thanks for reminding me of it again via the
boost page you cited.

     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>