Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Building modular-boost on windows with masm32?
From: Alle Meije Wink (a.m.wink_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-02 07:27:35

> 3. after apparently successful bootstrap, type
>> b2 -a -d+2 -q --prefix=c:\users\amwink\usr\local
>> --build-type=complete --build-dir=build toolset=gcc link=shared
>> runtime-link=shared
>>
>> The output is below. So the commands cl.exe and ml.exe, which are not in
>> mingw but can be used from the masm32 package are found, but their output
>> is not recognised (as I understand)
>>
>> Is that correct? Would there be a way around this other than installing
>> VC++?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Alle Meije
>>
>> *From:* Oliver Kowalke (*oliver.kowalke_at_[hidden]*)
>> *Date:* 2014-07-02 02:38:22
>>
>> strange - the make_i386_ms_pe_masm.o is in MS PE binary format but mingw
>> (g++) does not recognize it.
>> The regression tests at
>> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/coroutine.html
>> pass
>> with mingw-4.8.2.
>> Do you use the code from branch master?
>> Maybe it is an issue of mingw-4.8.1?
>>

> Either that or of masm32? The test you mention uses the assembler of VC 8.
>
> Would there be any way to tell? Or better even, a way around it?
>
> Oliver Kowalke-3
> <http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=user_nodes&user=368875>
> <http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=4664638>
> | Threaded | More
> Jul 02, 2014; 11:45am
>
>> Either that or of masm32?
>>

> because masm is made by Microsoft I would assume that the masm generates
> valid object files (correct binary format)
>
> The test you mention uses the assembler of VC 8.
>>

> I assumed that MS VC uses masm - is this assumption not correct?
>

>> Would there be any way to tell? Or better even, a way around it?
>>

> around what? not to use masm? if yes you would have to provide the
> assembler code in the syntax your assembler tool understands and
> you still have to provide object files in MS PE binary format

MS VC may use masm, but I am not using VC.
I installed masm from here http://www.masm32.com

With 'around' in this case I mean compile boost without installing VC.
Now installing WDK which provides an x64-compatible masm. That seems to be
the only alternative?

Thanks for your helpful comments, I will let you know how I get on.

bw
Alle Meije