Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Serialization cumulatively.
From: tcamuso (tcamuso_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-20 12:36:54

On 03/20/2015 12:17 PM, Robert Ramey [via Boost] wrote:
> tcamuso wrote
>
>> Problem is that the time to process the files this way is O(log n),

> I would think that this is solvable, but I can't really comment
> without spending significant time looking at the specific code.

Understood.

>> If there were linefeeds in the serialized data, the code to do this
>> would be much simpler.

> I don't even remember if there should be line feeds in there.
> certainly xml archives have linefeeds. But again, I'd have to spend
> a lot of time looking at your specific case.

Hmm.. can I save a text archive as xml? Does the serializer care
whether xml tags are present?

Interestingly, the text archiver was giving me linefeeds for a while.
Now they aren't there. I didn't change any of the serialization code,
but I did change the classes and structs that get serialized.

> Of course you could hire me by the hour if you like.

:) I don't have that kind of money.

> Is there another, more architected way for me to deserialize an
> aggregate of serializations?
>
> I think what you want to do should be possible in an efficient way.
> However, it would require spending enough time with the library to
> understand how it works at a deeper level.

Unfortunately, time is of the essence.

> I realized that this defeats the original appeal of the library to
> some extent. But it's still better than writing a new system from
> scratch.

Agreed. I need to get to the knee point with this app, then I can
address these things in maintenance mode.