Subject: [Boost-users] [Chrono] IO formatting doc minimal/ missing/ appears not to match the actual code base
From: Hickman, Steve (AdvTech) (Steve.Hickman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-03 11:03:15

As of at least Boost 1.58 / 1.59 (possibly earlier), the documentation for Boost.Chrono V2 IO appears to be out of synch with the actual libraries in the following ways:

1) Header file names to include as described in the doc don't match the file names actually available to include. I was unable to find <boost/chrono/io/ios_state.hpp>. I did find <boost/chrono/io/ios_base_state.hpp> but it appears to include things not described in the doc for <boost/chrono/io/ios_state.hpp>.

2) Some format tags are listed as 'unsupported', but there is no description of what that means. Does it mean they are ignored? Does a string still match (which means the input reader will move past those bytes)?

3) I was able to find some examples in chrono\test\io . It would be nice if the tutorial made reference to these as a source of additional info.

4) There appear to be a number of interfaces whose doc appears to consist only of what is embedded in the header files (or I just didn't find the doc for them): time_point_get, etc. Not being familiar with how facets work, I'm not certain if I should be using these directly or not.

It would be *really nice* if this were updated. More doc is always better. :)

Steve Hickman
System Architect, Flight Deck of the Future
480-236-8367