From: Cg K (kaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-07-29 17:11:04

I posted this issue originally on the boost list, largely to inform that I
have been able to compile boost_1_71_0_b1_rc1 using VS 2019.
See that post here:
<https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2019/07/246678.php>

I moved this post here because I think my subsequent problem has to do with
setting up Visual Studio 2019.

I have followed the Getting Started in Windows
<https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_70_0/more/getting_started/windows.html>
tutorial and was able to build the simple program, aka the header only
project, in VS. It compiled and ran fine. I then built the project that
links your program to the Boost Library described in the tutorial. I
received the following message when I compiled as x64.

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
'libboost_regex-vc142-mt-gd-x64-1_71.lib'

As you can see in my original email post referred to above, I built another
simple program based upon a youtube video and on VS2017 and while it
compiled in the youtube video, I received a the same linker error, LNK1104
message as well.

Since the file referred toin the LNK1104 error has the prefix lib, it
appears that VS is looking for a static library. I built boost as shared
from the Develop command line using the command.

.\bj2 link=shared .

This method apparently worked in VS2017 but I can not replicate it in
VS2019.

What am I missing?