From: Richard Damon (Richard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-07-29 05:50:11

The Boost UUID class only handles 128 bit UUIDs. So it won't help you.

There may be other Boost Libraries that might be of use to implement
whatever you choose to use.

You might be able to look at the implementation of the Boost UUID
library for ideas, but I am not sure if it will really be useful.

It sounds like YOU (or your customer') need to define exactly what this
64-bit 'UUID' will be defined as, and what it is capable of.

You will definitely need to solidify how you are going to define how
your UUID is built. 'Random' UUIDs at 64 bits have a moderate chance of
getting collisions depending on the exact usage pattern, and how much
problems collisions create.

Non-Random UUIDs require some form of unique Host ID that uses some of
the bits, that you need to decide how that is to be handled.

'Randomly' generating the Host ID, has issues of keeping them unique,
and may need more bits than you want to spend out of your 64 bits than
you can afford to spend.