Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Spatial Indexes
From: Chris Browet (cbro)
Date: 2009-06-03 06:32:59

Hi

>> While browsing for a spatial indexing library, I came across this boost
>> SOC project (
>> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/SOC/2008/spacial_indexing/)
>>
>> Unfortunately, it seems abandonware. As it relies on GGL and is geometry
>> related, wouldn'it be a good idea to incorporate it to GGL?
>>
> Good question. It is not abandoned but was indeed not yet taken over into
> the previews. But it is recently incorporated in the trunk, at least the
> rtree index, and will be part of next preview. It works fine and speeds up
> results (though it should be revisited). If you want to use it I would
> advise to change to the trunk in an agreed moment (such that you can be
> confident that everything runs fine). Also because of next point:

Great news. Indeed, It is a major incentive to switch to GGL trunk, as I'm
busy incorporating the rtree from the aforementionned svn branch, probably
wasting some time ;-)
Anyway, I'll stabilize what I have with the GGL and rtree sandbox as to have
a baseline, then switch to GGL trunk.

BTW, an issue that I have with the "stock" rtree is that I can only remove a
leaf by its bbox. This is an issue for me as if several "Values" (i.e.
objects) have the same bbox, the first one is arbitrarily removed.
I thus added a (not-yet-tested) "remove(bbox, value)" function, to be sure
to remove the intended value.

Is it something you tackled? A "remove(value)" would also be ok (certainly
less efficient, but easier for coding as I wouldn't have to save the "old"
bbox before an update)

> The polygon clipping problems seem to be solved now. Can you send me some
> pictures of the situations going wrong in the old version? I can then check
> if they are solved. It is still in progress but will be finished and
> incorporated in the trunk soon (probably this weekend).

Ok. I have to hack my code to make things visible, so it'll probably be in a
couple of days (considering the stabilization).

> Regards, Barend
>
> Best regards,
- Chris -