Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Regression in the Variant support for distance()
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-10 12:29:47

Hi Bruno, Adam,

Adam Wulkiewicz wrote On 10-6-2014 11:53:
> Bruno Lalande wrote:
>> Hi Barend,
>>
>> Regarding "VirtualBox/gcc is really easy to install on Windows
>> machines", can you share which setup you used to achieve that? I'm
>> currently setting this up and I don't find it this easy, especially
>> with the new modular Boost. The goal is to have Boost sources on my
>> local machine and then several VMs that run the tests against that
>> code. My first attempt was to use the shared folder feature embedded
>> into VirtualBox - it was a failure, as VB shared folders don't
>> support symlinks, which are vital with modular Boost. I'm now trying
>> using rsync, seems to work better. But all in all I wouldn't say this
>> is all "easy" at all so I was curious whether you found something
>> more straightforward to achieve this.
>
> If that matters, I'm using MinGW + GitBASH.

MinGW is of course also possible. And probably more easy.

My setup: I'm using Windows, and installed VirtualBox. Within VirtualBox
I'm using Ubuntu (I'm still at 12), which you can install in Virtual Box
downloading an ISO file, adding (in VB) a new virtual machine, set the
properties, boot, and configure.

OK - after sending this I realized already that "really easy" was quite
exaggerated. However there are many tutorials on the web (e.g.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox which I had bookmarked and
used at that time ). After everything is installed, and you have the
complete Ubuntu, and after you have git/boost there, everything works
really convenient ;-).

I don't use VB shared folders (as far as I know), I just have complete
Ubuntu there which supports symlinks.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net